"We are closer to G-d when we are asking the questions, than when we think we have the answers" Heschel

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Parenting

FNQ – 5 q's for the week

For now, my life has returned to its regularly scheduled programming which means that it is time to once again attempt to pose thought provoking questions. However, the view from here is very different and the questions and thoughts must follow suit. For my first group of questions a.c. (after child) I would like to ask 5 questions on the most challenging pursuit man and woman have ever led – parenting. I have never experienced anything as exhilarating and humbling as that which I have felt in my first two weeks of being a father. The questions abound but for now five is a good start. Perhaps those reading this with more experience than I could help me with some answers. Either way I will try and give my own.



  1. How much do babies really understand? I assume they understand something but how careful should I be about what I say and do around them? (I know I should always be careful about what I say and do but realistically I will probably not act the same way around a child who is watching and learning from me.)



  1. When it comes to all of the endless “babies and germs” concerns should I try and take every possible human precaution or should I seek a healthy balance of protection and exposure? (I.e. wash his bottles with hot water and soap but let other people hold him)



  1. Is there such a thing as giving an infant too much attention?



  1. Is there such a thing as giving an infant too much food?



  1. Why is it that it seems my entire purpose in this world seems to have dramatically changed now that there is a human being who is my child?

What do you think?

Binyamin – always looking for a good question

No comments:

Post a Comment