"We are closer to G-d when we are asking the questions, than when we think we have the answers" Heschel

Sunday, January 24, 2010

FNQ – 5 Questions for the week

The Environment

Tu b'shvat has in recent years become a sort of Jewish arbor day. While there doesn't seem to be any basis for this in classical Jewish sources I believe the basic idea is a positive one. Man was created as the caretaker of this planet and ultimately will be held accountable for any and all destruction he causes to G-d's world. So what are my responsibilities towards preserving this planet?

1.Does the Divine promise that G-d will never destroy the world exempt me from my responsibility to protect it?

2.If a parent gave a child a gift would the parent not be disappointed if the child acted irresponsibly towards that gift?

3.We say in the 1st paragraph of the Grace after Meals “and through His goodness, that is great never have we lacked and never will we lack food for ever and ever” does this mean that I don't have to worry about global food shortages?

4.When I hear environmental issues mentioned do I snicker because I think the environmentalists are wrong or just because they are flaming liberals? Am I willing so accept something true whatever the source?

5.What am I doing to preserve and protect G-d's world in which I live?

Binyamin - Always looking for a good question

1 comment:

  1. Ben,
    I really like your first question. I think that many people (esp here in Israel) do walk around with this viewpoint.
    A similar question is: If the messiah will come and fix all the problems... Do we need to save water in the kinneret? Do we need to be involved in social action? Do I need to care about refugees from Darfur?

    This bleeds into your fourth question. Do we see enviromental issues as guilty by association?

    ReplyDelete